Who We Are
Metrosphere is a leading provider of energy management solutions. Over the past decade we have completed hundreds of energy- and cost-saving electrical projects for our clients in the residential, commercial and institutional sectors. Our team of electricians, installers and product development experts are consistently recognized for their superior communication, design and project management skills, exceeding expectations with every project.
Our reputation as leaders in our field and commitment to customer service have led to deep relationships with leading developers, condo boards, property management companies and businesses across Canada.
We look forward to bringing our strengths, experience and electrical expertise to your EV charging infrastructure project.
EV Charging Solutions
LEVEL 1 CHARGING
(120 Volt Cordset)
- 120 VAC standard outlet
- Delivers power from the wall to the vehicle’s on-board charger
- Time from fully depleted to fully charged: 7-29+ hours (slowest charge time)
- Typically provided with your Electric Vehicle
LEVEL 2 CHARGING
(240 Volt PortableCordset or Wall-mounted Charging Station)
- 208-240 VAC installation
- Delivers AC power from the wall to the on-board charger
- Time from fully depleted to fully charged: 2-10+ hours (depending on the vehicle)
- Ideal for multi-unit residential, business, retail locations, hotels, public parking lots, etc.
Level 2 is the most common level of charging. Most EV drivers install a Level 2 charging station at home and many businesses install them for their employees and/or customers. All EVs sold in North America, (except Tesla), use the same charging standard – this means that any car can use any Level 2 station across Canada and the United States.
Level 2 chargers allow you to charge your electric car in just a few hours while you shop, sleep, work, enjoy a meal, or spend time with your family. A level 2 charger safely delivers AC power to your electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid so you’re always “fuelled up” and ready to go.
- Charges nearly 3 to 5 times faster than a Level 1 charger and gives you more miles in less time.
- Reliable, safe, convenient, cost-effective and energy-efficient charging
- Ability to charge your EV during off-peak times can save you money
LEVEL 3 CHARGING
High-powered DC Fast-charge Station
- 400-600 VAC installation
- Delivers DC energy, bypassing the on-board charger
- Time from fully depleted to fully charged: Approximately 30 minutes
- Requires extensive investment in infrastructure and hardware to install
- Typically located in high-traffic transportation corridors, fleet facilities, etc.
Level 3 charging, also known as DC fast-charging, offers 10 to 20 times the charging speed of the more widely used Level 2 mid-speed chargers. In other words, 15 minutes at a Level 3 station could provide the same charge as 5 hours at a Level 2 station.
Traditionally, Level 3 charging has required significant investment. Through the Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Initiative (EVAFIDI), the Government of Canada is investing $80 million to support the establishment of a coast-to-coast fast-charging network for electric vehicles. The initiative is run by Natural Resources Canada, and covers up to 50% of the cost to purchase and install fast-charging stations.
EVAFIDI provides $50,000 per fast-charging station, and a maximum of $5 million in funding to a single applicant.
Ask us about your eligibility and the application process.
Benefits of Workplace Charging
- Increase employee satisfaction
- Improve productivity
- Achieve sustainability goals
- Establish your brand as a green leader
Benefits of Apartment/Condo Charging Infrastructure
Benefits for Apartment Owners and Managers
- Attract and retain high value, green-minded residents
- Increase average rent and property value
- Meet emerging Provincial and city regulations
- Improve your green standing and meet sustainability goals, e.g. LEED certification
Benefits for Condo Boards
- Support condo owners’ requests for EV charging
- Enable condo owners to add a desirable property upgrade
- Make your property attractive to future home buyers
- Comply with emerging HOA (Home Owners Association) laws and building standards
Benefits for Business/Retail Charging Infrastructure
- Attract new and repeat customers
- Increase shopping time and spending
- Boost customer satisfaction
- Achieve sustainability goals
- Establish your brand as a green leader
EV drivers choose their destinations based on the availability of EV charging from their preferred network–and they tend to make it a habit to stop at those destinations so they can charge the car while they take care of business.
EV charging helps you attract new business, and build a steady revenue stream from repeat customers with typically higher spending capacity.
Resources / Education
List of charging station networks
Charging Station connectors
Vehicle Charge Times
Compare EV Specs, Prices, Range Data
Canadian EV Sales Update
Do Electric Cars require less maintenance than gas-powered cars?
Fully electric cars do not require oil changes, transmissions or exhaust systems and the average EV driver can save hundreds of dollars per year on maintenance. Electric motors are much more durable than gas engines and only have one moving part. Fewer moving parts equals less wear & tear and maintenance costs.
Do Electric Cars cost less to operate than a comparable gas-powered car?
With electricity and gas prices where they are today, EVs are ¼ the cost to drive than a gas car and your typical EV driver saves $1,500-$2,000 per year on fuel. Many jurisdictions offer peak-pricing, meaning the cost of electricity is low at night and on weekends when most of your charging takes place.
Are Electric Cars more expensive to purchase than gas-powered cars?
Most electric cars fall in the $30,000 to $45,000 range. In most cases, this is slightly more expensive than an equivalent gas car. However, some Canadian provinces have financial incentives in place to help bring this cost down. EVs are also much cheaper to operate and maintain than gas cars, so although your upfront may be slightly higher, your overall cost of ownership is significantly lower.
Do Electric Car Batteries need to be replaced?
EV Batteries are designed to last the lifespan of the car and it is unlikely that you will need to replace them. That said, EV batteries will degrade over time, which will have an effect on your total driving range. In addition, EV batteries are warrantied by the auto manufacturers for eight years.
Are Electric Car Batteries environmentally friendly?
EV batteries are made from Lithium-ion, which is the same battery used in smartphones, laptops and most rechargeable household electronics. Lithium-ion batteries are 90% recyclable and a number of companies are looking at using used EV batteries as second-life energy storage units.
Should I be worried about range while driving an Electric Car?
Today many fully-electric cars have a range that exceeds 250km on a single charge. That number will increase as battery technology and car designs continue to improve and become more efficient. “Range Anxiety” is almost a thing of the past!
Why do I need a level 2 charging station if a charger was already included with my car?
The biggest advantage of owning a level 2 charging station is the ability to charge your EV up to five times quicker than with the car’s charger (110V charger). This means that your vehicle will be fully charged every morning and that a short charge will allow you to go farther.
What are the advantages of a smart/networked charging station versus a simple charging station ?
From a general point of view, smart (or networked) charging stations allow owners to:
- Provide a better service to electric vehicles drivers
- Greatly minimize operating costs of a charging station
- Generate revenue and to control access to members to whom this service is available
- Remotely update, to add new features and to ensure compatibility with the new electric vehicles entering the market
- Provide a location and precise status of the charging station via various platforms (website, mobile application, navigation system, etc.), avoiding just having an approximate location on a map without status, which will take electric vehicle drivers on unnecessary detours from not knowing if the charging stations are in use or not
From a technical point of view, said smart charging station allows owners to:
- Obtain meaningful data and create reports on the charging station usage information, energy consumption, etc.
- Supply charging station usage information, energy consumption, etc. to electric vehicles drivers
- Manage the amount of electricity supplied to the vehicle and minimize demand charge
- Control access to the charging station, since it is equipped with an RFID (radio frequency identification) access card or Key Fob reader
- Provide access to charging stations by clicking a button on the network’s mobile app
- Establish pricing based on various types of clients
- Undertake updates remotely
- Provide access to the station’s status at all times
How fast can I charge with a level 2 charging station?
The time it takes to charge depends on the car. In most cases, a 30A station allows you to charge up to five times faster than 110V charging, whereas a 40A station allows up to 7 times faster charging.
Can a level 2 charging station be installed outside?
Most Level 2 charging stations are made for indoor and outdoor installation and work well from -30°C to 50°C (-22°F à 122°F). If you plan on charging outside, we recommend that you verify this aspect since some chargers are only made for inside purposes.
Do you provide free load assessments, estimates and quotes?
Metrosphere provides all of the above, free of charge.
Do you provide ESA inspection after EV Charger installations?
Yes, we schedule ESA Inspections for all completed EV Charger Installations that we complete.