Frequently Asked Questions
Do electric cars require less maintenance than gasoline cars?
Fully electric cars do not require oil changes, transmissions or exhaust systems and the average EV driver can save hundreds of dollars per year on maintenance. Electric motors are much more durable than gas engines and only have one moving part. Fewer moving parts equals less wear & tear and maintenance costs.
Do electric cars cost less to operate than a comparable gasoline car?
With electricity and gas prices where they are today, EVs are ¼ the cost to drive than a gas car and your typical EV driver saves $1,500-$2,000 per year on fuel. Many jurisdictions offer peak-pricing, meaning the cost of electricity is low at night and on weekends when most of your charging takes place.
Are they more expensive to buy electric cars than those that run on gasoline?
Most electric cars fall in the $30,000 to $45,000 range. In most cases, this is slightly more expensive than an equivalent gas car. However, some Canadian provinces have financial incentives in place to help bring this cost down. EVs are also much cheaper to operate and maintain than gas cars, so although your upfront may be slightly higher, your overall cost of ownership is significantly lower.
Do Electric Car Batteries need to be replaced?
EV Batteries are designed to last the lifespan of the car and it is unlikely that you will need to replace them. That said, EV batteries will degrade over time, which will have an effect on your total driving range. In addition, EV batteries are warrantied by the auto manufacturers for eight years.
Are Electric Car Batteries environmentally friendly?
EV batteries are made from Lithium-ion, which is the same battery used in smartphones, laptops and most rechargeable household electronics. Lithium-ion batteries are 90% recyclable and a number of companies are looking at using used EV batteries as second-life energy storage units.
Should I be worried about range while driving an Electric Car?
Today many fully-electric cars have a range that exceeds 250km on a single charge. That number will increase as battery technology and car designs continue to improve and become more efficient. “Range Anxiety” is almost a thing of the past!
Why do I need a level 2 charging station if a charger was already included with my car?
The biggest advantage of owning a level 2 charging station is the ability to charge your EV up to five times quicker than with the car’s charger (110V charger). This means that your vehicle will be fully charged every morning and that a short charge will allow you to go farther.
What are the advantages of a smart/networked charging station versus a simple charging station ?
From a general point of view, smart (or networked) charging stations allow owners to:
- Provide a better service to electric vehicles drivers
- Greatly minimize operating costs of a charging station
- Generate revenue and to control access to members to whom this service is available
- Remotely update, to add new features and to ensure compatibility with the new electric vehicles entering the market
- Provide a location and precise status of the charging station via various platforms (website, mobile application, navigation system, etc.), avoiding just having an approximate location on a map without status, which will take electric vehicle drivers on unnecessary detours from not knowing if the charging stations are in use or not
From a technical point of view, said smart charging station allows owners to:
- Obtain meaningful data and create reports on the charging station usage information, energy consumption, etc.
- Supply charging station usage information, energy consumption, etc. to electric vehicles drivers
- Manage the amount of electricity supplied to the vehicle and minimize demand charge
- Control access to the charging station, since it is equipped with an RFID (radio frequency identification) access card or Key Fob reader
- Provide access to charging stations by clicking a button on the network’s mobile app
- Establish pricing based on various types of clients
- Undertake updates remotely
- Provide access to the station’s status at all times
How fast can I charge with a level 2 charging station?
The time it takes to charge depends on the car. In most cases, a 30A station allows you to charge up to five times faster than 110V charging, whereas a 40A station allows up to 7 times faster charging.
Can a level 2 charging station be installed outside?
Most Level 2 charging stations are made for indoor and outdoor installation and work well from -30°C to 50°C (-22°F à 122°F). If you plan on charging outside, we recommend that you verify this aspect since some chargers are only made for inside purposes.
Do you provide free load assessments, estimates and quotes?
Metrosphere provides all of the above, free of charge.
Do you provide ESA inspection after EV Charger installations?
Yes, we schedule ESA Inspections for all completed EV Charger Installations that we complete.