With a desire to enhance our company values as a green innovator with sustainability as a central focus, we were proud to present Metrosphere’s newest division, EV Charging, to Goldview Property Management. The EV Charging division is dedicated to bringing innovative, cost-effective infrastructure solutions when planning and installing EV Charging Stations in your home, condo or commercial space.
What are EV Charging Stations?
As car manufacturers pursue electric and hybrid car solutions, many questions arise in regards to how these cars in condos, commercial spaces and residential home will be charged. EV charging stations, short for electric vehicle charging stations, is a infrastructure element that supplies electric energy for the recharging of electric vehicles.”
Projection indicates that by 2020, 10% of all new car purchases in Ontario will be hybrid or fully electric cars, by 2025 the numbers will increase to 35%. Therefore the need for infrastructure planning and installation of EV charging stations in different property types will increase.
The Three Main Properties for EV Charging Stations
There are three main property types to consider in regards to EV charging stations: Residential, Condo and Commercial. EV Charging by Metrosphere focuses on customizing solutions for these three types of properties.
Available EV Chargers
There are four types levels when choosing a charging station. Whether you need your car ready for your daily commute or a quick boost before hitting the road, Metrosphere can help you choose the right one for your needs.
- Level 1 – Basic charging. This is equivalent to plugging your car into a standard 120 volt AC outlet. The Level 1 is the slowest method, but also the most cost effective. It usually take about 12 hours to completely recharge a typical EV battery. If you don’t drive your EV often this may be a good solution for you.
- Level 2 – This is the recommended solution for the residents. It utilizes a 240 volt AC, making the charging significantly faster than you’ll get with a level 1 charger. It takes around 3 to 6 hours to fully recharge your battery (depending on size of the battery and the car). The charging station can be inside your garage or on the exterior of your home.
- Level 3 – “Fast Charger” this solution will typically achieve a 80% charge in less than minutes 480 volt DC electric. This solution is more expensive and generally suited to public and shared facilities. The downside is that this charger is currently not compatible with all types of electric vehicles.
- Level 4 – “SuperCharger” is the latest technology currently in development and can charge a full 100% in less than 15 minutes.The technology is still being developed and is not available yet.
- For Tesla – Tesla owners can install ‘Tesla Supercharger system’. This is a DC system similar the level 3 chargers. You can charge up 150 miles in 30 minutes.
Installing an EV Charging Station in multi-residential condos is a wise idea as it will provide immediate and long term benefits. Many condo board members are not yet familiar with the technology or what’s involved in an EV Charging Station installation. Metrosphere’s EV Charging can point out the benefits, breakdowns and solutions that will fit you and your property the best.
There are two solutions for condo board members, Personal EV charging stations and Shared EV charging stations.
- Personal EV charging stations – This will allow EV owners to charge their cars in their own spot and have the owner pay for the installation, products and maintenance.
- Shared EV charging stations are a smart, easy and strategic solution. It will allow the condo board to set access, policies and to charge fees based on a range of criteria including time of day, session length and electricity usage.
EV Charging for commercial spaces will create smart, custom infrastructure and installation of EV Charging Stations for all types of commercial businesses including parking lot, shopping plaza, hotel or office building.
With this new division of Metrosphere, EV Charging hopes to zoom potential electric car buyers and property owners into the future of electric vehicle charging by eliminating the stresses that can come with new technology.